Saturday, June 27, 2009

Believer, Can you Believe the Father gives You to His Son?

John 6:37-40
"All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out. For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day. For this is the will of my Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day."

All that are given by the Father to the Son....come to the Son.
This is interesting because right before Jesus says this to the unbelieving crowd, who were seeking Him and followed Him to Capernaum, He was telling them that it was not Moses who gave their bread out of heaven but it was His Father who gives them the true bread out of heaven. "For the bread of God is that which comes down out of heaven and gives life to the world." They, in reply, said, "Lord, always give us this bread." Jesus answered, "I am the bread of life; he who comes to Me will not hunger, and he who believes in Me will never thirst. But I said to you that you have seen Me, and yet do not believe." Wow! These people were seeking and following Jesus and even calling Him "Lord" but Jesus said to them that they did not believe (they just wanted the physical bread). The very Creator in human form stands before men who are schooled in the Scriptures and He points to their unbelief. He then explains the why of their disbelief in Him....."All that the Father gives to Me will come to Me." These are the first words to come from the Lord in explanation of man's unbelief.

The giving by the Father to the Son precedes and determines the coming of the person to Christ. The action of giving by the Father comes before the action of coming to Christ by the individual. And, Jesus will certainly not send that individual away; He is here to do His Father's will. And, even better, all who the Father has given to Jesus, He will not lose but raise it up on the last day!!! (Taken from The Potter's Freedom by James White)

The Father gives someone to Christ! I've never understood that my coming to Christ was because the Father gave me to Him first! This humbles me because I once thought I did something good for my life by coming to Christ on my own accord but I learn from John that the Father did the giving long before I did the receiving!

God's giving results in man's coming. Salvation is of the Lord!

Ephesians 1:3 (Paul writing to the Church)
"Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, just as He chose us in Him before the foundations of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will."


No comments: